Monday, January 10, 2011

Europe in summer 2007

I backpacked through some of Western Europe in the summer of 2007. A paper that I was working on with my research group at the University of Puerto Rico in 2006 was accepted at the summer meeting of the Society for Pidgin and Creole Linguistics. The conference was held at the University of Amsterdam from 18 June to 21 June. I left San Juan on June 7th.  The first stop was Madrid. I stayed in Madrid for two days before traveling south to Sevilla. In Sevilla I found a nice bum to talk Spanish with.





 The Cathedral of Seville was impressive:



Next I made my way further south to Cádiz. I finally got to swim on the other side of the Atlantic. I stayed in Cádiz for a day and a night, and then I moved back north to go to Córdoba. Below are some pics from Córdoba.




After experiencing southern Spain for a weekend, I travelled north to return to Madrid.



I stayed in Madrid for another day and then moved on to San Sebastian, an eerie city on the north coast. I have one pic of San Sebastian. I took it as I was leaving in the morning.



I left San Sebastian to go to Barcelona for a couple of days. I hung out on Las Ramblas and saw Beastie Boys at the Sonar Festival 2007.





 Here is a video of some breakdancers on Las Ramblas.


Ambar and I are going to Barcelona as soon as we can. The flights from Hamburg are about 100 bucks roundtrip. How cool would it be to escape to Barcelona for the weekend!

I left Barcelona and traveled 8 hours to Paris. I stayed in Paris for a day, and then went on to Amsterdam for my conference. I don't have any pics of my team or me in Amsterdam! After staying in Amsterdam for four days, I went to meet up with an old friend in Belgium. I met him in Brussels and we went out for a night. The next day we drove to Antwerp and hung out at his father's house. I stayed in Antwerp for two days before moving back down to Paris.










After spending two lonely days in Paris, I boarded a train for a 12 hour ride over the Pyrenees. I spent the last two days in Madrid. I got to visit Museo de Prado and walk along Calle Atocha and Calle Sol one more time before flying back to San Juan. I spent three weeks in four countries. A nice adventure for a 25-year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment